Shun Premier Essential 7-Piece Block Set
Free Shipping Included! Shun Premier Essential 7-Piece Block Set by Shun at Fushimi US. MPN: TDMS0700. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. A great starter set for anyone setting up a first-time kitchen, this seven-piece block set provides an array of useful everyday knives. The
A great starter set for anyone setting up a first-time kitchen, this seven-piece block set provides an array of useful everyday knives. The collection consists of a 4-inch paring knife, a 6-1/2-inch utility knife, an 8-inch chef's knife, and a 9-inch bread knife, as well as a honing steel, a pair of kitchen shears, and a knife block to keep everything neatly organized. Overall, the knife set measures 14-3/5 by 5 by 12 inches.
As part of Shun's Premier line, the each knife features a VG10 steel blade, clad with 32 layers of stainless Damascus, then beveled for lateral stability and incredible precision. The hand-hammered finish not only adds intriguing visual appeal, but it also creates a hollow-ground surface, which reduces knife-drag when cutting and prevents food from sticking to the blade. The knives also come equipped with premium Pakkawood handles in a walnut finish, which offer a comfortable, secure grip. As a sleek and stylish finishing touch, Shun embossed its logo on the end cap of the knives' handles. The high-quality knives can safely go in the dishwasher, but for best results, washing them by hand and letting them air dry is recommended. The knife set carries a limited lifetime warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Why Buy Shun Premier
Calling to mind the handcrafting techniques of ancient Japan, the Shun Premier possesses the grace and beauty of hand-forged knives of old. Every blade is made of VG10 steel, clad with stainless Damascus, then ground for lateral stability and incredible precision. Where the steels meet, a wavy line called a Hamon is formed--similar to when samurai swords are tempered using a clay-baking technique. The striking hammered finish ("Tsuchime" in Japanese) acts as a series of hollow-ground cavities, reducing drag when cutting as well as quickly releasing food from the blade. The rich walnut PakkaWood handles nestle comfortably in the hand, and the Shun logo embossed on the bottom adds balance and beauty to the knife, whether in the hand or at rest in the block.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box; this is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20 to 22 degrees
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility; this metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing
- Hammered finish, or "Tsuchime," acts as hollow ground cavities, reducing drag when cutting
- Comfortable oblong handle nestles in the palm and provides control, keeping the knife secure in the hand during use
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty
Kasumi Method of Knifemaking
Kasumi is a traditional Japanese style of knifemaking in which an extremely hard core of high-carbon steel is clad--that is, sheathed or covered--with an exterior jacket of another steel. The somewhat "softer" exterior cladding protects the inner cutting core. In Japanese, kasumi means "mist" and is so called because the exterior steel can have a lovely misty appearance when compared to the harder cutting core.
Kasumi construction provides an ultimate mix of properties: an extremely sharp edge and ease of sharpening. This clad construction is similar to how samurai swords are traditionally made.
Hammered Tsuchime Finish
In Japanese, Tsuchime (Tsoo-CHEE-may) simply means "hammered". It does two things: gives the knife a look that is reminiscent of the handcrafting techniques of ancient Japan; and creates tiny pockets of air that act as hollow-ground cavities to reduce drag and quickly release food from the blade. Shun's gorgeous new Premier line features a hand-hammered tsuchime blade finish.
Many Shun cutlery lines are characterized by the beautiful Damascus patterning on the blades. In Japan, this is also known as suminigashi, or ink pattern, because of its resemblance to the undulating patterns made by ink in water. To create this style of blade, a cutting core of VG10 is clad on each side with 16 layers of Damascus steel, made up of SUS410 and SUS431 stainless steel. Then the blades are bead-blasted to reveal the elegant, waved pattern.
In addition to its beauty, the Damascus has two purposes. First, it protects and supports the extremely hard cutting core. Second, it helps the blade glide through food even more smoothly. You will find Damascus cladding on knives in our Classic, Ken Onion, and Premier series.
PakkaWood is a premium handle material made of genuine hardwood impregnated with resin. The resin makes it moisture resistant, strong, and durable. Sanding and buffing brings PakkaWood to a beautiful gloss finish. As with natural wood, no two pieces of PakkaWood are exactly alike.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees)|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); oblong ambidextrous handles|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener|
Features & Highlights
- 7-Piece block set; includes 4-inch paring knife, 6-1/2-inch utility knife, 8-inch chef's knife, 9-inch bread knife, honing steel, kitchen shears and knife block
- Knives feature layered Damascus steel with a striking, hand-hammered finish known as 'Tsuchime' in Japanese
- Knives feature hand-hammered finish reducing drag when cutting, keeping foods from sticking to the blade of the knives
- Premium pakkawood handle nestles comfortably into the curves of the palm and allows for a variety of comfortable and secure grips
- Knives are dishwasher safe; hand washing and air drying recommended; wipe block with damp cloth, air dry; limited lifetime warranty
|Item Weight:||0 pounds|
|Item Size:||5.12 x 12 x 12 inches|
|Package Weight:||12.15 pounds|
|Package Size:||16.42 x 10.79 x 10.79 inches|