Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Multi-Purpose Utility Knife
Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Multi-Purpose Utility Knife by Shun at Fushimi US. MPN: DM0520. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. Created by Ken Onion, one of the world's top knife designers, this multi-purpose utility knife makes a useful addition to any busy kitchen. It
Created by Ken Onion, one of the world's top knife designers, this multi-purpose utility knife makes a useful addition to any busy kitchen. It features a serrated blade measuring 7 inches in length with a rounded tip. Use it for cutting bagels in half, slicing summer-ripe tomatoes, making sandwiches, and more. Overall, the utility knife measures approximately 11 by 2 by 3/5 inches.
As part of Shun's Ken Onion collection, the knife shares the same high-quality materials as the Shun Classic line, but in a curvier form. Its enticing beauty starts with a VG-10 stainless-steel blade, which features 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 stainless steel on each side, producing a 33 layered Damascus look, but without the rusting problems associated with Damascus. The Damascus detailing not only enhances the knife's aesthetic appeal, but it also prevents morsels from sticking and helps maintain the integrity of food when slicing. The knife's sleek good looks continue on into its ebony PakkaWood handle, which offers a generously arched, ergonomic shape that fits comfortably in the palm of the hand for enhanced comfort and control. The knife's wide, gently rounded bolster also helps ensure the correct grip, which alleviates hand strain even with large food-prep tasks. Made in Japan, the knife carries a limited lifetime warranty and should be hand washed for best results.
From the Manufacturer
Ken Onion Series
Why Buy Shun Classic Ken Onion
As part of the Shun Classic line, the Shun Classic Ken Onion Series shares the same materials and Pattern Damascus clad blades as Shun Classic. But the Ken Onion series elevates ergonomics to an art form. Every aspect, from the shape of the blade to the way the handle fits snugly into the user's hand, has been designed for superlative comfort and control. The arc of the sleek Pakkawood handle provides stability, while the rock of the blade's belly enables users of any height to cut with ease and control. The widened bolster guides users to the correct grip and reduces tension during cutting, making this line ideal for users who have large quantities of prep work or those who suffer from arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Designed by Ken Onion, one of the most revered custom knife designers in the world. Ken has won more knife design awards than any other single blade designer.
- Designed by a man with no culinary experience, an advantage because he addressed the needs of chefs from a fresh perspective with no preconceived notions.
- The handsome, stick-resistant blade is combined with Ken Onion's signature ergonomic handle design and unique blade sweep found only in a Ken Onion knife.
- The shape of the blade is designed to maximize the glide of the blade across the cutting board, making it easy for chefs of any height to use without shoulder tension.
- Blunted blade nose, like that of a Santoku, allows the cook to scoop chopped ingredients off of the board.
- Ambidextrous handle design and stability bump on the lower portion of the handle provide maximum comfort and confidence while cutting.
- Inner curve on each side of the bolster forms perfect thumb and index finger rests; widened bolster releases tension in forearm.
- Knife is "zero balanced" at this center point, another distinctive ergonomic feature.
- Handle is curved downward to more closely match the shape of the palm, eliminating gaps between the hand and the handle.
- Handles are slightly elevated to allow for full contact between the knife and the cutting surface without the cook's knuckles getting in the way.
- Many of the 37 steps required to manufacture these truly unique knives utilize extensive hand crafting techniques, requiring trained craftsmen.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
Contrary to rumor, Ken Onion knives are not named for the singular task of chopping onions. That's really the designer's last name. Ken is one of the most sought-after custom knife makers in the world. He has won more knife awards for design than any other single designer, and with the partnership of Kershaw he has done more to change the pocket knife industry than any other individual. His custom knives can be found in some of the most prestigious private knife collections as well as in the pockets of his multitude of fans.
Kasumi Method of Knifemaking
Kasumi is a traditional Japanese style of knifemaking in which an extremely hard core of high-carbon steel is clad--that is, sheathed or covered--with an exterior jacket of another steel. The somewhat "softer" exterior cladding protects the inner cutting core. In Japanese, kasumi means "mist" and is so called because the exterior steel can have a lovely misty appearance when compared to the harder cutting core.
Kasumi construction provides an ultimate mix of properties: an extremely sharp edge and ease of sharpening. This clad construction is similar to how samurai swords are traditionally made.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees (comprehensive angle 32 degrees)|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); ambidextrous handle|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener|
Features & Highlights
- Multi-purpose utility knife with 7-inch serrated blade and rounded tip
- VG-10 stainless-steel blade with 33 layered Damascus detailing
- Ergonomic ebony PakkaWood handle for comfort and control
- Wide, gently rounded bolster; made in Japan; washing by hand recommended
- Measures approximately 11 by 2 by 3/5 inches; limited lifetime warranty
|Item Weight:||0 pounds|
|Item Size:||0.62 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches|
|Package Weight:||0.6 pounds|
|Package Size:||3.1 x 1.2 x 1.2 inches|